How to Keep Personal Shipping Costs Low When Moving Overseas
Moving overseas is an exciting new chapter in life, but the costs can be daunting if you have a lot to bring with you. If you are worried about the shipping quotes you’ve gotten so far or by what others have said they’ve paid for personal shipping, you’ll be glad to know you have a lot of control over the cost of sending your belongings to your new home. You don’t have to sacrifice your precious possessions if you plan ahead with these tips in mind.
The main factors that influence the cost of personal shipping are the weight of your shipment, the distance it has to go and the speed at which it is sent. While the distance is fixed, you can make some choices to reduce costs by reducing the weight and the speed of your shipment without sacrificing the safety of your belongings or leaving important things behind. The tips below will help you get the lowest shipping quote for getting what you need from here to your new home.
5 Tips to Reduce Your Shipping Quote
It takes a little planning but you can reduce your shipping costs and make your move go smoothly.
- Research first: Before you start packing, do a little research. While you will want to bring things that you really love and that have sentimental value, some things are purely practical. You can check online to compare the cost of shipping them versus the cost of replacing them in your new location. This can make a significant difference to your shipping quote when you are considering moving furniture or exercise equipment.
- Sustainable packing: Another way to reduce the volume of your personal shipping is to use your bedding and towels to pack fragile items. Why send a box of sheets and duvets and then buy packing material to wrap your dishes and ornaments? This is also more environmentally friendly.
- Verify the different shipping options: Consider how quickly you will need the things you are shipping. Air freight is more expensive than road or sea freight. You might be able to save money by dividing your things into two shipments – one of the things you will need soon to go by air and another of the things you can wait for to go by surface.
- Half container x Full container: Depending on how much you are shipping, you can opt for a less than full container load for ocean freight. This is cheaper than a full container.
- Shipping collection x Door to Door shipping: If you are moving to a major city without a huge amount of stuff, you might be able to save by collecting your things from the port or airport yourself. At Spratt, we offer both door to door and door to port options.
If you want to get the lowest personal shipping quote you can, talk to us. Our experts can help you find the shipping option that works best for your budget and gets your belongings where they need to be safely and efficiently.