International shipping companies can get your car to almost any destination in the world, but before you start collecting freight quotes, it is important to know what is involved. Shipping a car overseas is different than sending a box of household goods. In some cases, a bit of research before your trip will give you enough information to find another solution, while in others you’ll conclude that shipping your car overseas it is the ideal thing to do. So what do you need to know to decide if it is worthwhile to ship your car overseas when you are moving abroad? Here are some things to look at when you are considering shipping a car overseas.
- Is your car legal there? If you are moving to a country that drives on the other side of the road, check if there are any restrictions that might affect your car. Is your car unusual for a personal vehicle? Is it vintage, modified, ex-military or anything else that might mean it faces a different set of laws and regulations? Be aware of your new home legislation is an important part of moving abroad, so make sure you’ll check everything you need to know about your car before you ship it to your new place.
- The pros and cons of driving: Are you moving to a city centre with excellent public transportation or a rural idyll where you can’t access basic necessities without a vehicle? Evaluating the area to where you’re moving is vital to help you make the right choices. Be sure to get informed about the use of public transport and it’s availability, alternatives like shared car apps and prices for renting a car for trips, among others.
- Documentation and extra costs: How much hassle and red tape does the country pose for importing personal cars? Will shipping your car overseas involve a few forms or a massive investment of your time? International shipping companies can help, but ultimately it is up to you to ensure that you follow all regulations, complete all paperwork and pay all costs. As each country requires different documentation, you’re better off checking it all before deciding.
- Getting a new car x shipping your car: What is the cost of replacing your car in that country? Looking at the retail cost of comparable cars can help you decide. If you are going for a finite amount of time such as a year, can you get by with a less expensive car? What are sales taxes for cars like there? Would you be able to sell a car you buy there easily?
- Shipping companies: Can you get a good freight quote to ship your car there? Talk to a few different international shipping companies to make sure you get a good price from a company you can trust. Send us your details here and we’ll take care of the rest!
How to Prepare Your Car for International Shipping
Once you’ve decided that you do want to ship your car to your new home, gathered some freight quotes and picked which of the international shipping companies (and we hope you’ll choose us!) you’ll use, it’s time to get your car ready. It’s not just a matter of driving your car aboard a ship and then meeting it at the docks.
Your car needs to be completely clean inside and out before it goes. Otherwise, you could be greeted with mould and rust when it arrives. Have your mechanic check it over in advance to spot any issues that could arise in transit or shortly after arrival. Even a small leak can cause a big problem when you’re moving abroad and still don’t know much about the services in your new area. While it might sound like a good idea to fill your tank, the opposite is true. Make sure your tank is less than a quarter full when you drop off your vehicle.
Choosing whether to ship, sell or store your car is a big decision. Take the time to research all of your options and choose the one that’s best for you. And if you decide to ship your car overseas, we’ll do everything we can to make it as easy as possible. Contact us today and get your quote.